Sunday, 23 August 2015

50 Minutes...



50 minutes

To make 'em laugh

Read 'em her poems

Show 'em her craft


50 minutes

To put on a show

Screaming inside,

Can't let them know


50 minutes

To prove to herself

She need not be defined

By her shaky mental health


50 minutes

Pretending she is fine

To canter with the banter

Through a well rehearsed smile


50 minutes

Heart pounding, mouth dry

The Grumblings of a Gargoyle

Quietly wishing she could fly


50 minutes

Then whilst holding back the tears

She smiles and says her 'thank yous'

Before she quickly disappears


Over 50 years

Gradually gathering the dirt


That's settled in her system

Covering tracks of her self worth.





Poem only © Copyright Lynn Gerrard

12 comments:

  1. Brava, Lynn! I'll bet many of us could identify with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I felt most uncomfortable sharing this...and that's how I knew I had to x

      Delete
  2. We gird our loins when facing them down
    Don't let them see and don't show a frown.
    You have done it now pat your own back
    If you weren't no good they'd ave given you the sack. X Ellen Best
    ������

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Emotions
    pen to paper
    finger to key
    poetic offload
    cathARTic'

    Beautiful share Lynn, brave and beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE that verse, Kimmie....and I know you understand. People see what they want to see and many believe what they see, never knowing or understanding what's really going on nor the struggle behind the 'act'. Thanks again for your very apt and thoughtful words ((hugs)) xx

      Delete
  4. One day I find out how I can reblog Blogger content on a wordpress blog. One day. Until then I'll tweet and 'bow in awe'

    ReplyDelete
  5. The courage, the pride, well done my friend well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes - you nailed it and so beautifully. Turning pain into joy, is that a poet's alchemy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More the poet's madness ;) Thank you, my lovely pal..xxx

      Delete