Thursday, 7 April 2016

Ask Me My Name...



I am the shivering shadow

Crumpled in the cold, damp doorway

Ask me my name



I am the weary shape seeking sanctuary

Struggling against stormy waters

Ask me my name



I am the tiny, bruised form

Cowering beneath soiled, sodden bed sheets

Ask me my name



I am the lonely, frail figure

Peering through the grimy window onto the busy street

Ask me my name



I am the hungry mouth, cracked beneath a blazing sun

Reaching for sustenance from an arid breast

Ask me my name



I am the broken sob

Echoing through the rubble of my war-torn land

Ask me my name



I am a statistic in a news report

Succumbed to the tragedy of your disregard

Too late, you ask my name.




Poem only © Copyright Lynn Gerrard

20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Such a lovely thing to say, thank you! xx

      Delete
  2. incredibly good, I'm stunned...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That gave me prickles down my spine, excellent, Lynn x

    ReplyDelete
  4. A clarion call for disenfranchised everywhere and reminiscent of Bob Dylan's
    Tolling for the aching whose wounds cannot be nursed
    For the countless confused, accused, misused, strung-out ones an' worse
    An' for every hung-up person in the whole wide universe
    An' we gazed upon the chimes of freedom flashing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad, sad times and even sadder people....Thanks as always for your much appreciated comments...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another thought provoking truth. This is why I read you. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you, Zoe.....and I am so very grateful that you do read me...your support is very much appreciated...xx

      Delete
  7. Been there, and sadly, it's never more than a few setbacks away

    ReplyDelete
  8. Apparently my posts aren't reaching you 😒

    ReplyDelete
  9. *Waves* comin' in loud and clear.:)

    ReplyDelete