Friday, 6 May 2016

The Undoing Of Can't...



Some days I just can't

So I don't.

I used to try and do

But the doing was

Always bullied

By the disparaging whisperings

Of can't.

Always tainted

By can't's mocking derision.

So, to hush the badgering torment of can't

I didn't.

However

Can't has its own tormentor

Could

And the voice of could

Is getting louder

The voice of could

Is getting stronger

The voice of could

Is chipping away at can't

And one day

All that will be left

Of can't

Is can

And when that day comes

Don't will become do

And so I shall

Because I can!


© Copyright Lynn Gerrard 

16 comments:

  1. Love the way this builds from negative to positive!!! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exactly how I feel, all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then we'll do the do dance together and the can't can do the can-can! :) x

      Delete
  3. Love this this one loads. In fact I enjoyed it that much that I wish I had written it.
    I award this poem: The Very Clever One - that got away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praise indeed from a word master such as your goodly self...and I thank you! :)

      Delete
  4. Oh my, you are brilliant! What a very special poem! I shall have to share this immediately. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, you are a most valued friend and I thank you for your kindness xx

      Delete
  5. Bravo Lynn... Perhaps I can after all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hap, you were one of the very first people who, through your encouragement and support, regarding my writings...made me feel that I could...so I did...and now I can thank you...so I am :) And yes....whatever the 'can' is you need to do...you are the right man to do it...so do! :) xx

      Delete
    2. Thank you sweetie, it makes me very happy that I could make even a small imprint. You and Carol are so talented and I'm glad to be a small part of your lives. Keep 'em coming grumbly! 😁

      Delete
  6. It sweeps beautifully. Well done you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I realy like that one .simply brutal .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simple and brutal i like it .💀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David! I'm really pleased you do:)

      Delete