Sunday, 10 July 2016

The Visitor...




You seem quite shocked to see me

I know the hour is late

And I hope you will forgive me

For arriving in this state

I didn't have a chance to change

It's been a messy day

With one thing and another

But I'm here now just to say

Did you tell your wife about us?

Does anybody know?

Oh dear, you've gone quite ashen

I presume the answer's no?

Not to worry, I won't tell

My words are just for you

Every night I'll come to chat

It's the least that I can do

To cement our new relationship

And extend our brief encounter

Though you seem too stunned to offer much

You're not as pushed on banter


As you were with foot on pedal


When you raced home from the pub

Oblivious to others


Who were also on that road


As I was when you hit me


And left me lying there


Uncaring of your actions

In your alcohol fuelled blur


Too eager to desert the scene


Where my bleeding, broken shape


Breathed out its last

Through blood choked gasps

As you made your escape


And so I stand before you now


A permanent reminder

Of my derision at your decision

To be a drunken driver



Poem only ©  Copyright Lynn Gerrard 2.8.2012

10 comments:

  1. The older I get the more I wish I would live in a time where this just didn't exist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm right with you there, Markus....

      Delete
  2. Started reading and thought was "ghost hauntings well deserved to all cheats!" then kept reading and realized sadness to drunk drivers. Although my thoughts are to haunt all loves Haha :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! I like the way you think, Zoe! :D xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to believe the drunken murderer will be haunted. I wish I could believe that would make him change...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thank god daily that I was fortunate enough to stop drinking before I killed or seriously injured someone. It's been 25 years but I still shiver when I think of what "might have been".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But now it's more than time for you to applaud yourself, Hap, for what didn't happen...thanks to your taking the right steps to be in control xxx

      Delete
    2. *pats himself on the back* 😎
      Thx hon, I sometime forget to be happy with myself 😊

      Delete
    3. I'll make sure I remind you :)

      Delete