Tuesday, 3 January 2017

Leaving Home...



She removed her things

From the bedroom wall

And lied

"That didn't hurt at all"

But father saw

In mothers eyes

The welling tears

She could not hide

And with a kiss

Upon her cheek

He held her close

So she could weep

And gently soothed

"We must move on

And let her live

The life she wants"

And mother cried

"I know that's true

That is what I

Intend to do

But father

Have a mind to see

The lingering memories

Shadowing me.

The mark upon the wall

Just there

Is where once leaned

Her Teddy Bear

And in that corner

On that chair

When she was small

I'd plait her hair

Then from that hook

Behind the door

Her little coat

Would hang before

I'd drape it

'round her tiny shape

'fore we set off 

Towards

School gates"

There Mother paused

Sobs locked in throat

As father, worried

For her distressed chokes

Tenderly whispered

Words to ease

Mother's plaintive

Reveries

"Dry those tears, love

Do not fret

We'll visit her often

And don't forget

Your little girl

She'll always be

But it's time to let go

Mother

She's 43!"




Poem only © Copyright Lynn Gerrard

10 comments:

  1. Oh I wasn't expecting that - you had me sniffing hard up til the end!hahaahha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Originally... I was going the other way with it.....however, the demon within insisted on otherwise <> x

      Delete
  2. Caught me off guard. Nice ending! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. *smiles* really did not expect that ending! Love it as I Lol! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Zully...glad you liked it hehe! x

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you, Kimmie!! Chuffed you liked it... :) xx

      Delete
  5. Brilliant as always, Grumbly. I didn't see it coming either! Excellent :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And many thanks, Val...as always....for your constant support...Really appreciated :) xx

      Delete